Friday 13 February 2009

Choosing a Linux Distro

As I previously wrote about my old Armada M300 laptop, I quickly realize that DSL, despite its speed, is not ready for productive environment. The laptop may roam around as a presentation tool to show computer user that Linux may live in an old machine and still usable. Hence, I grab Puppy and Slitaz that've been recognized to comprehend my consideration.

Slitaz is small and beatiful. More, the cooking edition is nearly 1 GB so I assume it must be very ready for office works. However, but it doesn't run well in the machine. I assume it must be because it runs on RAM and take 80s out of 128 MB M300 RAM. Secondly, it uses Enlightenment that runs GLX. But I must check it up again.

Puppy looks happy in the machine and runs fast enough even though it looks fatty.

On LUG meeting yesterday (Friday 13 Feb 2009), where discussion is on 'Selecting a Distro', I sum up my experience that machine with 128 MB of RAM may take Puppy, while 256 MB machine may take Slitaz. Pentium 4 class better use Desktop approach with Distro such as Ubuntu, Mandriva or SuSE.

A server might consider Debian and Centos.

Ok, hope this will add what's been reported in LUG meeting.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment